Arabian Nights got an incredibly successful finale in Episode 3. It was interesting to see a Poptropica Island that is so deep and ends with an actual message. Even though the island pushed the theme of how bad greed is, it wasn't cheesy or annoying at all, and actually made the island more enjoyable in my opinion.
In a similar vein (albeit slightly more negative), 7 Islands were made Members-only this year: Nabooti, Wimpy Wonderland, Big Nate, Red Dragon, Great Pumpkin, Wimpy Boardwalk, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Meaning that now, players have to pay in order to play these islands. A few things I noticed:
- that all of these islands were sponsored (meaning based on other franchises),
- the sharp increase in new sponsored islands being made,
- Poptropica's recent acquisition by a new company (Sandbox Networks)
- and their plans to rapidly expand to other things like merchandise, comics, and even a TV show
No one knows better what's coming next year than the Creators themselves, but here at Poptrickia I'm in the business of guessing :). Oliver and Jorge are due for a revival I think, either in another run of comic strips, or in Volume 2 of Mystery of the Map. Or who knows -- the Creators have been dropping plenty of hints that a TV show is in the preliminary stages.
- Post more often on the Journal (that's what I call this blog), hopefully at least three times a month! Sneak peeks are my favorite posts to write but they take a long time to write, so I'll try to improve on those.
- Make guides for new islands even faster. I'm planning on finishing the written guide by the day after the island's release, and adding pictures and the video guide in the following weekend. This is something that I actually used to do, but alas, school getting busier has gotten in the way a little bit :(
- Maybe try to get the community of Poptrickia more involved, in commenting more often or other things? I'm not sure how exactly I'll do that, but it's definitely a goal for next year.